17.11.08

Migr@tions

Last night I went to the CBC Radio Canada Migr@tions Film Screening with a group of girls from JHR. We watched a series of short films that are part of the Migr@tions film contest. The contest is a multimedia competition about immigration. The films deal with the issues immigrants face on an everyday basis -- particularly the hidden issues that the average person will not see.

The idea of losing or questioning ones identity was prevalent in the films. I especially related to the film, "A Reggae Girl." The film revolves around a part-Jamaican girl who struggles with her identity while pursuing her goals in soccer. She talks about going to Jamaica and not quite being Jamaican, but how she also didn't feel like she was a Canadian. I think struggling with identity when you are of multiple racial backgrounds is something that is easy to relate to.

I'm half Chinese and very proud of that. The only thing is, I don't really look Asian. People don't always believe that I am half, or just assume that I am white. I identify with my background so much that the fact people don't realize it is hard. It's not that I want to be labeled, but I do want to feel like I don't have to constantly explain myself. I've spent so much of my life trying to identify who I am, and relate to my past. Trying to reconnect with the history of my paternal grandparents is one of the most important things to me because they are no longer around. It's hard for people to understand how important the Chinese culture is to me when they do not even realize that I am part Chinese.

I am not an immigrant. Not even close; even my father was born in Canada. My grandfather was born in China, in a small farming community. He was born into a family that like many others was struggling financially. He came to Canada with nothing, but managed to build an amazing life here. A large part of the reason I am in university is because he saved money to provide for his family and he wanted my brother and I to be educated. I owe a lot to him, more than I could have ever expressed while he was still alive. I've always said that my grandfather was my hero, and to this day it remains true. He is a part of me.

It was through the experiences my grandfather had that I could truly appreciate the films. I urge people to check out the competition, as well as other Radio Canada International projects.



Migr@tions Website

No comments: